3.0 Smooth Bore Diesel 4x4 Truck
Updated: Jan 19
1. Maximum weight 8000lbs.
2. The OEM chassis is mandatory. The vehicle must retain the full OEM chassis.
Wheel tubs, back- half conversions, tube chassis are prohibited. Maximum wheelbase
158” and 102” maximum width (outside tire to outside tire.) Rigid suspension
allowed. Hydraulic steering is allowed.
3. The body must be an OEM truck body, including the complete OEM floor pan and
must retain complete OEM firewall. Complete bed floor, hitch is allowed to protrude
thru the bed floor w/minimum amount of floor removed. No flatbeds permitted. The
body must retain the full sheet metal, aftermarket steel hoods are permitted. The
hood must be closed and securely latched while hooked to the sled.
4. Maximum engine size will be 460 cubic inch. Engines must come from factory in
one ton or smaller diesel pickup truck. Engine must remain in stock location as
intended by manufacturer. Engines may be interchanged between manufacturers.
a. No aftermarket blocks permitted
b. Head must be OEM or OEM one piece cast replica for that brand engine. No billet
heads of any material. Outside dimensions of cylinder head must measure factory
width and length. Head must retain OEM valve angle.
5. Front of engine block can be no farther forward than 17” of center line of front
6. Engine must have cable surrounding block and head. Cable must be minimum 3/8”
diameter located between cylinders #1 and #2. Cable must pass thru manifolds.
Cable will have 4-6” of slack with a minimum of 4 cable clamps at splice.
7. All engines will have a deflection shield, running the complete length of the block
casting. Shield must be securely fastened and must be .060” thick. (This equates to a
steel inner fender)
8. Hook point must be no closer than 44” of center line of rear axle, hitch height
maximum of 26”, with a minimum of a 3.75” X 3.0” opening. Hitch point must be
easily accessed. No “trick” type hitches permitted. Hitch must be stationary in all
directions. Hitch must be frame mounted. Hitch must be mounted center line of rear
hook point. No hitch supports or adjusters fastened to the rear axle housing shall be
above the centerline of the rear axle. Pivot pin of drawbar can be no farther forward
than center line of the rear axle.
9. Secondary hitch required. Minimum of 3/8” steel, located 12” below primary hitch
on the same vertical plane. (You should be able to look directly through both
at the same time – they need to be lined up.)
10. The turbocharger is smooth faced intake housing, limited to a maximum of 3.0”
inlet, (no map ring) with all air entering through the 3.0” opening. Intake wheel must
protrude 1/8th inch inside of opening.
11. Exhaust must exit straight up, with (2) 3/8” bolts mounted in a cross pattern no
more than 1” apart as close to the turbine wheel as possible, no more than 6” away
from turbine wheel.
12. Intercoolers allowed. Dumping or draining intercoolers without a catch pan
within 100 feet of competition track is prohibited.
13. Water injection is prohibited. All components must be removed from the truck.
14. Air shut off must have a cable that goes to the rear of truck operated by the sled
operator and also one to the cab of the truck. Kill switch will be securely mounted to
the back of the vehicle and have a two (2) inch diameter metallic ring to attach the
15. Fuel Systems: Maximum of one P7100 pump, limited to one plunger per cylinder.
The use of multiple high pressure common rail fuel pumps is allowed. Ford
Powerstroke engine may utilize a second HPOP. Electronic fuel injection is permitted.
A 3-way dump valve mounted before the injection pump is mandatory which can be
operated by the driver while strapped in the seat.
16. No fuel lines or tanks permitted inside of truck cab unless securely mounted in
17. Fuel limited to diesel fuel. No alcohol, nitrous, propane or any oxygen enhancing
18. Must run DOT approved tire. Maximum tire height 35”, no studded tires or
chains. No alteration to DOT tires allowed. Dual rear wheels are permitted on rear
axle only. Maximum of 6 tires.
19. Front weights must be no more than 60” from the center line of the front axle to
forward most point and be securely fastened. No weights are allowed in cab of the
truck. If weights are located in the bed of truck they are to be securely fastened to
the bed of the truck.
20. Drive train will consist of the following: Any front axle, any transfer case and any
rear axle. No planetaries permitted.
21. Axle shields are required. Shield to be .060” thickness steel or aluminum. Shield
not to be mounted to axle ends or hub bolts. A hole may be cut in one to allow
locking in of hubs.
22. No cast iron clutches or flywheels permitted, must be SFI approved. Trucks with
automatic transmissions, refer to General Rules.
23. SFI bellhousing blankets and/or SFI blow proof bellhousing required.
24. All U-joints must be shielded 360 degrees with 3/8” thick aluminum w/1/8” steel
liner or 5/16” thick steel. Shield will be 6 inches long minimum and centered on u-
joint. Inside diameter of shield will be no more than 2 inches larger than u-joint.
25. All intermediate shafts between the transmission and transfer case will be totally
enclosed in 3/8” aluminum or 5/16” steel, 1⁄4” of shaft may be visible.
26. Fire extinguisher (2.5#) or fire suppression system, Helmets-Snell 90 or better, SFI
fire suits, head sock, gloves, shoes, and seatbelts required.
27. All other rules may be found in 4X4 Truck and General Rule sections.
New for 2020
Drawbar height adjustment link if attached to rear differential housing the attaching point must be at axle centerline or below.
The drawbar adjusters cannot attach to anything above centerline of the rear axle. The adjusters must go down from drawbar. The adjusters can only go straight downward vertically or towards rear differential housing. No slotting of holes for adjuster attachment.
Must have a full metallic cab floor pan.
The OEM chassis is mandatory. The vehicle must retain a full ¾ or 1-ton size chassis. Wheel tubs, back-half conversions, tube chassis prohibited. Maximum wheelbase 158” and 102” maximum width. (outside tire to outside tire). Rigid suspension allowed. Hydraulic steering permitted. (Intent= no Isuzu or compact diesel chassis)
No traction control permitted.